Yawning is an involuntary process of opening the mouth and inhale air to fill the lungs. Excessive yawning is yawning, which occurs more than one time per month.
Yawning is a natural phenomenon that we often related to tiredness or sleepiness. Different durations of yawning are from one second to several seconds. Stretching the body with watery eyes and sometimes an audible sound, all relate to yawning. Sometimes being bored or fatigue leads you to excessive yawning. Will I tell you something very interesting about yawning? It is an action that you unintentionally perform even while seeing or hearing other persons yawning. While we consider excessive yawning as a sign of sleepiness or tiredness, it is not the case every time. Researchers have proved that yawning is a way to cool down the temperature of your brain.
Excessive yawning is usually a symptom of boredom or sleepiness, but it may be a sign of some medical condition. Excessive yawning can be due to vasovagal reaction that is associated with vagus nerve that runs from the brain to the abdomen. Excessive yawning activates the vagus nerve, due to which the heart rate and blood pressure drop. It can cause some severe heart conditions. Judging any disease by own self is sometimes dangerous and results in depression. It is better to see a doctor and let him examine the leading cause of yawning a lot. When you visit a doctor, the doctor will first ask you about your sleep habits to ensure that you are sleeping right or not. If your sleeping habit is healthy, then the doctor may perform other tests to understand the root cause of yawning a lot.
What is considering as yawning a lot?
Yawning a lot can be a severe medical illness sometimes. Visit your doctor for a proper check-up. Doctors can take various tests, such as:
EEG is an electroencephalogram, which is electrical rays used to measure the activity of the brain. This test will help your doctor know about the working of your mind. Because yawning a lot is sometimes a result of some brain issues. An EEG will give the final report about the functioning of your brain.
MRI is a magnetic radio wave that produces detailed images of the body. These images will let the doctor examine deeply about your brain and spinal cord to see if there are tumors or not. MRI is also to explore the working of heart to get an idea that the heart is working well. Sometimes when you are taking certain medicines, they have a side effect, which causes yawning a lot. If this is the reason, then the doctor may stop you from making it or low its dosage. But let the only doctor decide it. Don’t change the dose or timing of your medicine on your own. If too little or too much sleeping is the reason for yawning a lot, then the doctor will give you some medicines to set your sleep order.
Yawning and too little sleep
Loss of sleep or sleeping disorder is the most common issue nowadays. Sleeping disorder is that a person gets less sleep than they need. Less sleeping than usual may result in sleeping at day times, obesity, and mood swings. Less sleep alters your daily routine and disrupts your focus on your surroundings. When you have to drive, and you take less sleep than your routine, it is one of the biggest causes of accidents. Little sleep results in:
- The weak immune system, which in effect can’t prepare body against certain infections and germs.
- Increase the risk of respiratory diseases.
- Less sleep has an impact on your body weight.
- Too less sleep results in high blood pressure and a high sugar level in your body.
- Lack of sleep affects your hormones.
- Male testosterone hormones get affected mainly due to sleep deprivation.
Too little sleep may get better by:
- Exercising daily
- Following a sleep schedule
- Use a breathing device
A question arises, what causes yawning. Well, there are several medical and general causes of yawning. Let us see all of them in detail.
Most asked question: what causes yawning
The exact answer to the question that what causes yawning is still not found. However, there may be several reasons for it:
- A person often yawns due to drowsiness.
- The standard answer to the question of what causes yawning is tiredness or fatigue.
- Sometimes we take medicines such as anti-depressants, results in excessive yawning.
- A less common answer to the question, what causes yawning is bleeding around the heart.
- More severe reasons for excessive yawning include brain tumors or heart attacks.
- A person with epilepsy may yawn often.
- Liver failure, etc.
Lack of sleep=Excessive yawning
Lack of sleep causes yawning, and it is the most common answer to the question of what causes yawning. The national sleep foundation develops a chart of average sleep time for every age group. This chart states:
- Sleep duration of 0 to 3 months babies is 14 to 17 hours.
- Sleep duration of 4 to 11 months old is 12 to 15 hours.
- Sleep duration of 1 to 2 years old is 11 to 14 hours.
- Sleep duration of 3 to 5 years old is 10 to 13 hours.
- Sleep duration of 6 to 13 years old is 9 to 11 hours.
- Sleep duration of 14 to 17 years old is 8 to 10 hours.
- Sleep duration of 18 to 64 years old is 7 to 9 hours.
- Sleep duration of over 65 years is 7 to 8 hours.
If you manage to sleep an average time according to this chart, then you are sleeping right. If you sleep less than the average time of your age, then it is the leading cause of your excessive yawning. However, if you have any issue regarding your sleep, e-g, if you can’t sleep comfortably or if you can’t sleep for an average time, then you have to visit a sleep specialist. He will guide you about your sleep and will give you medicine if necessary. These can be causes for your yawning. Take proper sleep and avoid unhealthy habits to quit excessive yawning. But in case if it is increasing day by day, then it’s the most admirable and right step to consult a doctor as soon as you notice a sudden increase in your yawning because only a doctor can tell you the exact reason for it.
Tired of yawning! How to stop yawning
Yawning can sometimes let you feel embarrassed, especially when someone is talking to you. So the question arises, how to stop yawning. It is insulting and inappropriate behavior to yawn between a conversation, or during a lecture, etc. This action will let people feel that you are bored or uninterested in their talk, which is very rude. It is good to control your yawn when you are in such a situation. Then how to stop yawning? Well, there are several ways to quit yawning, which includes:
- Breath through your nose: A very simple act perform by most of us to let people not feel that we are not interested in their talk.
- Are you wearing warm clothes and a muffler? In that case, remove your muffler and let yourself feel cold; this action will reduce your yawning.
- An exciting answer to the question, how to stop yawning is that, ask your friends or people around you to look at you. You get me right. It is a scientific fact that you stretch less when more people are attracted to you.
- Headache can be a reason for yawning. When you feel a headache, and you yawn, simply take your migraine medicine and relax.
- Another answer to the question, how to stop yawning is that, grind your teeth with each other while breathing through your nose.
- A satisfying answer to the question, how to stop yawning is that climb upstairs.
- Excessive yawns are a reason for some medications to have a look at your medicines.
- Drink water to hydrate yourself. It will help you with yawning.
Diagnosis is always important
Before you look for a solution to your issue, it is a must first to diagnose it right. You can do it yourself if you think your sleeping schedule or medicines, etc. are the cause. Or you may ask your partner if he/she notices something. But in case if you are not sure, visit your doctor and let him examine and then diagnose the root cause. Only an expert can help you with your issues when you have any. Don’t do self-medication, as it can be very harmful to you.
The topic concludes that although excessive yawning is considered normal in most cases, it can be dangerous sometimes. Consult your doctor for excessive yawning.